The scent of freshly baked pretzels fills the air, the sounds of lively accordion music echo through the streets, and laughter and merriment are everywhere you look. Welcome to Oktoberfest, one of the world's most famous beer festivals! As we gear up for this year's festivities, let's dive into the rich traditions, activities to enjoy, and a delicious recipe to celebrate at home. And, of course, we invite you to join us at Side Launch's Tap Room for an unforgettable Oktoberfest experience.
Oktoberfest: A Brief Introduction
Originating in Munich, Germany, Oktoberfest is a centuries-old celebration of all things beer. It typically runs from late September to the first weekend in October, lasting for about 16 to 18 days. The festival was first held in 1810 to honor the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig's marriage, and it has since evolved into a global phenomenon.
Activities to Amp Up Your Oktoberfest
- Dress the Part: Get into the spirit of Oktoberfest by donning traditional Bavarian attire. For men, this means lederhosen, and for women, it's dirndls. Don't be shy; embrace the fun of dressing up!
- Beer Tasting: While beer is the star of the show, Oktoberfest offers a chance to sample a variety of brews. Side Launch will be serving up some authentic German style beers you won't want to miss, like our award-winning Wheat.
- Live Music: The festival is famous for its live music, with lively polka and oompah bands filling the tents. Even if you can't make it to Munich, you can still enjoy the music at your local Oktoberfest celebration. Here at Side Launch, we have live performances every weekend. Check out our upcoming entertainment schedule so you don’t miss out on an epic performance!
- Games and Rides: Traditional Bavarian games like Hau den Lukas (a high striker game) and rides are a big part of the fun. Challenge your friends to some friendly competition or hop on a thrilling ride.
- German Food Galore: Savor classic German dishes like bratwurst, sauerkraut, schnitzel, and, of course, pretzels. Don't worry; we've got a delicious pretzel recipe coming up!
Recipe: Homemade German Pretzels
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- ⅓ cup baking soda
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Pour in the yeast mixture and knead until a smooth dough forms. Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope and twist into pretzel shapes.
- In a large pot, bring 9 cups of water and baking soda to a boil. Drop each pretzel into the boiling water for about 30 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Place the pretzels on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the pretzels turn golden brown.
- Enjoy your homemade pretzels with mustard or cheese dip!
Celebrate Oktoberfest at Side Launch's Tap Room
Experience a touch of German tradition right here in Collingwood during our Oktoberfest weekends. From October 14-15 and then again from October 19-22, enjoy mouthwatering German cuisine courtesy of Hans Beach Bites. Pair these delectable dishes with our German brews, including our famous Wheat and newly released Festbier, all available at happy hour prices of just $6. Plus, join us for a special trivia night hosted by John Eaton. It's a Collingwood Oktoberfest you won't want to miss.